In theory, the following 5 Mobile SEO factors matters.
1. No horizontal scrollbar
At a mobile device the only scrolling allowed is vertical.
2. No pop-ups
At a desktop pop-ups are annoying, at a mobile device they are even more. So get rid of pop-ups.
3. Fat finger proof
Make sure that all clickable elements are fat finger proof (that is not too close to each other). Otherwise the user can't use your site.
4. Speed is everything
Make sure that your website can be used with a slower internet connection. Your internet connection is probably better than that of your users. The performance should be excellent.
5. Font size
The readability of text has been taken into account (there should be no need to zoom in). So make sure the font size is large.
Mobile SEO questions
- What is mobile seo?
- What is mobile usability?
- How do I ensure a fast website?
- How do I make my website work on any device?
- How do I write legible texts?
- What characterizes mobile websites according to search engines?
- Does structured data add value to mobile SEO?
- Do the search engines find my website mobile-friendly?
- Is my website accessible?
- Is my website fast enough?
What is mobile seo?⟰
Mobile SEO is largely technical optimization of a website for mobile use so that its usability is recognized by search engines.
What is mobile usability?⟰
Mobile usability is determined by the
accessibility and the
website performance on a mobile device.
Main features are:
(1) no horizontal scroll bar
(2) no pop-ups
(3) clickable elements are not too close to each other
(4) the website can be used with a slower internet connection
(5) the readability of text has been taken into account
How do I ensure a fast website?⟰
Make sure that the website requires as little data as possible and that the data is instant available.
The greatest gains can be achieved by:
(1) Minimize the number of external elements on your website (images, style sheets and scripts)
(2) Optimize images and video so that they have a minimum size
(3) Using a static website or a website environment which supports caching
How do I make my website work on any device?⟰
Your website will work on any device when you have a fast website with a single column layout and a responsive design.
How do I write legible texts?⟰
Use one web page for one topic. Use headlines, write short sentences and use white space.
What characterizes mobile websites according to search engines?⟰
Google and Bing have established guidelines
What Makes a Good Mobile Site? (Google),
The Bing Mobile Friendliness Test Tool (Bing))
for mobile websites.
Perhaps most importantly, the website should display the same content on the mobile device as it does on a computer. This is because only a mobile web crawler is used.
The advice for website designers is therefore: Design for mobile!
Does structured data add value to mobile SEO?⟰
Structured data adds value to mobile SEO because a mobile device has limited screen space.
Hence, a search result with rich snippets stands out more on a mobile device than on a desktop.
You can test the structured data on your website with Google's Rich Results Test.
Do the search engines find my website mobile-friendly?⟰
Is my website accessible?⟰
Is my website fast enough?⟰
Do you have another question regarding Mobile SEO, and you can't find the answer?
Please let me know by sending an e-mail to email@example.com and I will try to answer your question.